We learn from God how love triggers generosity as we read from John 3:16 where we get the explanation for the gift of Jesus.
‘ “For God so [greatly] loved and dearly prized the world, that He [even] gave His [One and] only begotten Son, so that whoever believes and trusts in Him [as Savior] shall not perish, but have eternal life. ‘John 3:16
We learn from God’s Word that He is more interested in the state of our heart than the money in our pockets when we read from 2 Corinthians 9:7 where we also learn that we can’t outgive God because God gives most.
‘Let each one give [thoughtfully and with purpose] just as he has decided in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver [and delights in the one whose heart is in his gift]. ‘2 Corinthians 9:7
We also learn in God’s Word that what God gives us is done with and for a purpose and we need to make sure we use it properly or we will miss out on the incredible blessings explained in 2 Corinthians 9:10-15.
‘Now He who provides seed for the sower and bread for food will provide and multiply your seed for sowing [that is, your resources] and increase the harvest of your righteousness [which shows itself in active goodness, kindness, and love]. You will be enriched in every way so that you may be generous, and this [generosity, administered] through us is producing thanksgiving to God [from those who benefit]. For the ministry of this service (offering) is not only supplying the needs of the saints (God’s people), but is also overflowing through many expressions of thanksgiving to God. Because of this act of ministry, they will glorify God for your obedience to the gospel of Christ which you confess, as well as for your generous participation [in this gift] for them and for all [the other believers in need], and they also long for you while they pray on your behalf, because of the surpassing measure of God’s grace [His undeserved favor, mercy, and blessing which is revealed] in you. Now thanks be to God for His indescribable gift [which is precious beyond words]!’2 Corinthians 9:10-15
We also learn in God’s Word the importance of generosity in Malachi 3 to the point where God asks us to test Him in it and see the happiness, blessedness, and delightfulness that is produced through it.
‘“Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings [you have withheld]. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, this whole nation! Bring all the tithes (the tenth) into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you [so great] a blessing until there is no more room to receive it. Then I will rebuke the devourer (insects, plague) for your sake and he will not destroy the fruits of the ground, nor will your vine in the field drop its grapes [before harvest],” says the Lord of hosts. “All nations shall call you happy and blessed, for you shall be a land of delight,” says the Lord of hosts. ‘Malachi 3:8-12
So as we prepare for the celebration of the birth of Jesus are you ready to test God and not out of compulsion or grudgingly but from the overflow of your heart what you have decided to give back to God from the seeds He has given you to sow? Let’s remember the purpose of what God has provided us and eat the bread and sow the seeds rather than trying to eat it all and then run out of supply. Let’s choose to be generous in order to glorify God and experience the blessings of heaven and all this poured out because of it. The blessings of relationships with God and with others. The blessings of family and friends. The blessings of God describes as so abundant that we can’t contain them or store them! The blessings of God’s abundant love! The blessings of God’s abundant grace! The blessings of God’s abundant goodness!
As we prepared to celebrate the birth of Jesus, let’s remember why He came as described in John 10:10.
‘The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it overflows]. ‘John 10:10
So are you ready to live your life with purpose, on purpose, and for God’s purposes and walk in Jesus’s purpose for coming so that you can live and have a life in abundance? What does the Bible tell us about the abundance you may ask? There are too many for me to list all this morning but I found a post with many of them you will be able to review and I will share some with you now:
- But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you – Matthew 6:33
- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope – Jeremiah 29:11
- Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. – Romans 12:2
- And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail – Isaiah 58:11
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. – Romans 15:13
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. – Proverbs 3:5-6
- For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord – Romans 6:23
- But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” – 1 Corinthians 2:9
- To see a large list that is broken out into 17 groups visit: https://bestofchristianity.com/gods-abundant-blessings-quotes/ (FYI – when I first went after finding in search results, it complained about my ad blocker)
That post also happens to share a powerful prayer I wanted to also share with you before we continue:
Scripture for Today:
Today’s Post from BeTheDads.com:
Where are you at? What are you going through? How are you dealing with it? Who is helping and who is hindering? Why? Choose today to invite Jesus into your heart! Choose today to invite Jesus into your life! Choose today to invite the Holy Spirit to be your comforter and your guide to help give you the wisdom and discernment you need for the day and help to correct and direct the path you are walking down today!