How often do you need to be reminded to not be afraid? How often do you need to be told fear not? One thing that always makes me smile is when I get to a part of the Bible where there is an angel. This awe inspiring, overwhelming being that shows up and the first thing they tell the person is do not be afraid and the the person goes into shock. It seems that the shock or fear reflex is common to humans and so the angels try to be proactive in their encounters. Be it when the angel shows up to Mary to let her know that she is going to be the mother of the messiah. Be it when the angel shows up to the shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus. (Luke 2:1-12) Be it when the angel shows up to Joseph to tell him to marry Mary. Be it when the angel shows up to Daniel to tell him that he had started to make his way to help him from the start of his praying. (Daniel 10:8-19) Be it when the women got to the tomb looking for Jesus and he was letting them know Jesus was resurrected and so was no longer in the tomb. (Matthew 28:1-10) Be it when the angel appeared to Paul on the boat that was to be shipwrecked and wanted to let him know everything was going to be ok. (Acts 27:1-26) Even when the news being delivered is good, the warning or message begins with don’t be afraid.
God doesn’t want us to be living our lives in fear. God is love and so wants us to be filled with and overflowing in love! God wants us to be bold and courageous! God wants us to put our hope and trust in Him and as such fear not but instead believe! God wants us to receive the gift of the Spirit which gives us power, love, and a sound mind, not fear! So are you ready to live your life God’s way? Are you ready to live your life boldly and courageously? Are you ready to live your life fueled with God’s power and love? Are you ready to live your life with God’s wisdom and as such a sound mind? Why not choose today to receive Jesus and to be transformed so you can live a life a faith over fear? The decision is yours! Choose wisely!
The One Year Daily Insights with Zig Ziglar and Dr. Ike Reighard
for July 31st
He is Risen!
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.”’Matthew 28:6-7
To connect the two themes, if we expand what the Bible says one verse earlier, we read: ‘But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.”’ — Matthew 28:5-7
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Imagine how devastated Jesus’ followers and friends were after seeing Jesus die on the cross and then be taken down and put into a tomb.
- Imagine the impact on their dreams and hopes…
- Imagine trying to make sense of the whole ordeal
- On Sunday would you have stayed home uncertain and confused? Would you have been like the faithful women who went out to the tomb to show their love for Jesus?
- Could you imagine how quiet and somber the walk to the tomb would have been?
- Could you imagine the shock and wonder of seeing the stone rolled away from the opening of the tomb?
- Imagine seeing the glowing angel sitting on the stone that had been rolled away…
- Imagine the thrill and amazement of receiving the message the angel had to deliver…
- Imagine receiving the message “He is Alive!”
- With the rollercoaster of emotions of the last few day and now to get this message, how would or could someone handle it and respond?
- How do you respond to miracles? How do you respond to the incredible? How do you respond to the impossible?
- Would you be ready to run off and tell everyone?
- Are you ready to share and tell everyone about Jesus today?
- Could you imagine after such a message getting to see Jesus again?
- Are you ready to see Jesus?
- Are you ready to see Jesus if He decides to return today?
- Are you ready to see Jesus if He calls you home today?
- Let’s grab hold of the angel’s message – “He is alive!” “He is risen!”
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
- What do you think that moment was like when the angel spoke to the women?
- What is the significance in your life that Jesus has risen from the dead?
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
“The entire plan for the future has its key in the resurrection.”— Billy Graham
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So where are you at today? Are you ready to receive this truth? Are you ready to receive this hope? Are you ready to receive this promise? Are you ready to receive this good news? Let’s pray:
Did you pray with me?
Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision?
Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?
Leave a Reply, love to hear from you…