Ever been hurt by somebody? Ever been lied to by somebody? Ever been threatened by someone? What was your first thought? What was your first response? Did you turn to God? Did you give it to God? If you received directions from God were you obedient? Will you trust God? Will you wait on God? Will you try to take things into your own hands?
Will you trust God to be good at His Word like when He says:
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. — Romans 12:19
‘The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord .’ — Proverbs 21:31
‘He said, “Listen, all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Listen, King Jehoshaphat! This is what the Lord says: Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’s. ‘ — 2 Chronicles 20:15
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. — Jeremiah 29:11
‘Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. ‘ — I Peter 5:8
‘And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.’ — Romans 12:2
Will you take Him at his Word and trust Him no matter what happened? no matter who did it? no matter how you are feeling? Will you trust God enough to avoid taking things into your own hands and having to deal with the consequences?
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘Then David said to Abigail: “Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me! And blessed is your advice and blessed are you, because you have kept me this day from coming to bloodshed and from avenging myself with my own hand. ‘I Samuel 25:32-33
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Don’t allow being hangry to cause you to screw up and try to take things into your own hands.
- Don’t overreact because someone is a jerk and doesn’t respond properly by trying to take things into your own hands.
- Don’t consider your first response to be revenge!
- Consider giving it up to God for as we read above revenge should be taken care of by God!
- Will you be an ambassador of peace?
- Will you try to be a mediator to help keep revenge from happening?
- Will you try to be a mediator to help keep people from acting in a way that will cause more harm than good?
- Will you be a mediator who looks for the best?
- Will you be a mediator who looks out for the best of post parties?
- Will you be someone who sees a need and will meet it?
- Will you be someone who sees a gap and fills it?
- Will you give your concerns and frustrations up to God so that He can take care of it in a way that is just and righteous?
- Will you choose to live a life that God can reward that is filled with integrity?
- Will you choose to live a life that God can reward that is filled with wisdom?
- So next time you want to take things into your own hands, stop and trust God enough to give it over to Him!
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
- How would you have acted if you had been Abigail? if you had been David?
- What are some situations you face in which you are tempted to take things into you rown hands instead of trusting God?
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
“The solution to a problem I had wrestled with for three solid months came to me when I completely forgot about my needs and became engrossed in finding a way to meet the needs of others.”— Zig Ziglar
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So where are you at right now? Are you in a relationship with God so that if and when things come up you can lean on Him? Are you trying to get through life on your own and in your own strength? Why not receive the gift of grace from God and invite Him into your life? Why not ask Jesus into your heart today and allow the rest of your life to be defined by what Jesus has already done instead of all the past things you have done? Let’s not get stuck in the past chained up to our failures by the repetition of the devil but instead take hold of God’s promises and plans for you and learn from the past and move forward into the future? Let’s pray:
Did you pray with me?
Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision?
Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?