How much time does it take for you to be able to label someone as dependable? How much time does it take for you to be able to label someone as reliable? Ever considered the difference? Ever considered the durability? Let’s compare the meaning of these two words:
Dependable = a person to which one can rely on · place reliance on · lean on · cling to · be supported by · be sustained by · be unable to manage without · count on · bank on · trust · trust in · put one’s trust in · put one’s faith in · have faith in · have (every) confidence in · believe in · swear by · be sure of · pin one’s hope on
Reliable = a person you can trust. dependable · good · well founded · well grounded · authentic · definitive · attested · valid · genuine · from the horse’s mouth · sound · true · copper-bottomed · trustworthy · faithful · devoted · steady · steadfast · staunch · unswerving · unwavering · constant · loyal · trusty · dedicated · committed · unfailing · infallible · certain · sure · truthful · honest · safe · fail-safe · tried and tested · well built · well engineered · reputable · responsible · established · proven · stable · solid · secure · safe as houses
But how long would they need to be performing like that for you to know they are dependable or reliable?
Ever considered God? Today’s Bible App verse of the day speaks to how dependable and reliable God is when it says:
‘Jesus Christ is [eternally changeless, always] the same yesterday and today and forever. ‘Hebrews 13:8
So where are you at today? Will you consider turning to God no matter what comes your way? Will you lean on God rather than your own understanding, because you know He is well founded and well grounded, and a solid rock on which to build your life? Let’s consider this as we hop into today’s devotional.
A Fresh Look at Dying
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
The righteous perishes,
And no man takes it to heart;
Merciful men are taken away,
While no one considers
That the righteous is taken away from evil.
They shall rest in their beds,— Isaiah 57:1-2
Each one walking in his uprightness.
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Ever heard of a funeral having different names? memorial? celebration of life? wake?
- Ever been to one for someone close to you and reflect on how much you are going to miss them?
- Ever had to work through the grieving process from such a loss?
- Does your response vary depending on the cause of death?
- Does your response change from grief to relief if they had been suffering?
- What do you consider when it comes to their end? Is it all a physical thing? Is it a spiritual thing?
- Is it about leaving the pain of this world? Is it about where they have gone? Is it about what they will be experiencing?
- What if they are believers and come face to face with Jesus?
- What if they are believers and have now overcome the presence of evil?
- Ever wondered what things would be like absent the presence of evil?
- It is all around us like a fish in water, so we have never been fully separated from evil.
- So how would things be if evil was gone?
- Are you saying no to sin? Are you ready to say no to sin?
- Are you experiencing the incredible life of knowing God?
- With sin and evil all around us, what would it be like to be somewhere that had none of it?
- Imagine that day when we leave our physical bodies and escape the evil, no more evidence of evil as bitterness is gone, greed is gone, jealousy is gone, hatred is gone, sickness is gone, aging is gone and we enter into God’s presence!
- Imagine entering into that place of perfect peace!
- Imagine entering into that place of rest from the bombardment of sin!
- Imagine getting to be somewhere that all the activities will fulfill us like never before.
- Are you ready?
- Do you believe?
- If you believe, then let’s grab hold of what is coming and take hold of our current situation with patience and overflow God’s love into the world around us.
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
- What do you think it will be like to escape the presence of evil?
- How does this perspective give you strength and hope for today?
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So where are you at today? Are you relying on God? Are you depending on God? Are you ready to meet Him today? Is your heart in the right place? Have you accepted the gift of grace that He has given you? Let’s pray:
Did you pray with me?
Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision?
Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?