We have each been created on purpose, with purpose, and for a purpose! We aren’t accidents and we aren’t mistakes! God knew before you were born you were coming and has prepared in advance all the good works He desires for you to accomplish. Have you found your purpose? Are you seeking your purpose? Did you know that you have a purpose?
As these thoughts come to mind this morning, I remember many years back reading and having a study at church on the Rick Warren book The Purpose Driven Life. I am currently also reading a book by Matthew Barnett who is leading the Dream Center in Los Angeles called The Cause Within You: Finding the One Great Thing You Were Created to Do in This World. I am just getting into the part of the book that talks and challenges me to find my one great thing I was created to do, my purpose. God has blessed with me with an incredible wife and three incredible kids. God has blessed me with being able to serve in the worship & arts department of our church as well as in the men’s ministry and as a deacon over the years. God is blessing me with getting to lead a group of volunteers to provide camps for teenage foster kids and at risk youths. God is blessing me with the opportunity to help orphans in Watoto. God is blessing me with the opportunity to support radio stations like Spirit 105.3 (which helped me catch the reality and power of forgiveness), Air1 (which was a light when I landed in AZ to start my new job in 2013), and K-LOVE (which has been a channel when I travel). God is blessing me with being able to work at a great company and shine the light of Jesus through love and relationship with so many people. Serving others is where we will find our purpose. How we are to best serve and where we are to serve is the bigger picture that I am hoping to capture with the current reading to take things to the next level. Being able to grab hold of the purpose God has for me right here and right now, as my kids are getting older and as we are coming out of the year plus that has been covered by COVID. Is there something I am to do or could do to speak life and help bring unity to situations? Is there something I am to do or could to shine love and hope to those in need? Is there something or somewhere I am to be to be best position to own the race I am to live? So I stay connected to Jesus! So I stay seeking and leaning on Him in trust rather than trying to figure it out or use my own understanding.
Today’s verse of the day from the Bible App was from the verses about staying connected to Jesus, the one about the vine and the branches:
‘If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. ‘John 15:7
The key is to stay connected to God! The key is to stay connected to His Word! The key is to stay sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit! The key is Jesus!
So are you ready to be you? Are you ready to be the you God created you to be? Are you ready to live out the cause that God created you to do in this world? Are you ready to face it? Are you ready to pursue it? Are you ready run the race? Are you ready to run to win the race? Are you ready to receive the prize? Are you ready to live a life where you will hear one day “well done good and faithful servant“? When you find it are you ready to chase it down? When you find it are you ready for the marathon (not a sprint) that it will be to accomplish what God created you to do?
Imagine if you were challenged by someone asking “anyone who would like to be able to give away $1M stand up”. Everyone in the room at that point had their eyes closed and he then said to stand up so he could pray for each of you. Would you be willing to lift up your hand for such a challenge? Would you be bold enough to stand up? Even if everyone had their eyes closed and the reality is that it would be something between you, the preacher, and God?
What cause are you ready to get up for? What cause are you ready to live for? What cause are you ready to give for?
Are you ready to pursue your cause, the purpose you were created for and run your own race?
Run Your Own Race
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. ‘I Corinthians 9:24
Let’s take a look at the full set of verses around striving for a crown:
‘Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.’I Corinthians 9:24-27
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- How do you know how well you are doing?
- What are you using as your measuring stick?
- Are you focusing on God’s will, plans, and purposes for your life and how you are doing against that?
- Are you comparing yourself to others around you?
- Are you comparing yourself against others successes?
- Are you comparing yourself against others failures?
- Are you just pursuing God’s will and letting Him take care of the rest? (Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness?)
- If you are running your life comparing yourself to others then you are running the risk of losing your identity!
- Are you leaning on God for your security?
- Are you falling into a sense of insecurity and as such are trying to copy what others are doing?
- Are you falling into a sense of insecurity and as such criticizing those who face failure?
- When you are living a life where you are comparing yourself to others, measuring your life and success against your neighbor, then you try to one up everyone else.
- When you are living a life where you are comparing yourself to others, measuring your life and success against your neighbor, then you have to live your life on guard all the time.
- Are you on the defensive and trying to ensure others don’t look better than you?
- Are you so focused on others that you are missing out on who you are and what your purpose and cause are?
- Are you so focused on others that you are living your life in fear?
- Is your focus on others impacting your health? your life? your relationships?
- Do you realize that there is another way to live?
- It starts with a relationship with Jesus!
- It starts with turning to Him and meeting Him face to face!
- He is more interested in our hearts and how we are doing in accomplishing the purpose and cause He has uniquely created for us to accomplish!
- He will ask about if we did what He asked of us!
- He will ask about if we did it the way He asked us to!
- As the title of today’s devotional says, we all have our own race to run.
- So we need to stop comparing ourselves to others and focus on the race we have before us so that we can run it the best we can.
- If you catch yourself or when you catch yourself comparing yourself to others, turn back to God and put your focus on the race you have to run!
- What comes your way today, choose to get it done God’s way in pursuit of His purpose, His plan, and His cause for your life!
- How can you take that purpose, plan, and cause and allow it to outlive you?
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
- What are some ways that “comparison kills”?
- How would it help you to focus on running your own race?
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Zig Ziglar, Great Quotes from Zig Ziglar: 250 Inspiring Quotes from the Master Motivator and Friends
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So where are you at today? Are you able to take your eyes off of everyone else and put your eyes on Jesus? Are you able to take your eyes off and prevent yourself from coveting and comparing yourself to others and pursue God’s purpose and cause for your life? Are you ready to receive a word from God so that you can focus on running your own race? Could today be the first day of the rest of your life? Let’s pray:
Did you pray with me?
Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision?
Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?