Ever been in a meeting where people start to raise their voice or even yell in order to make their idea or perspective seem better or right? Ever been in a meeting where it even escalated to the point where people start swearing or cursing? Ever seen those people in the room who are keeping quiet and how the meeting is missing out on their viewpoint and perspective? Ever seen those meetings where the meeting either escalates or gets called because of the behavior? Ever felt like walking out of one of those rooms?
The verse of the day from the Bible App today has an interesting perspective about when we speak:
‘If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love [for others growing out of God’s love for me], then I have become only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal [just an annoying distraction]. ‘1 Corinthians 13:1
It is about our hearts! There are so many things that aren’t about the physical actions but rather about the content of our heart. If we aren’t speaking out of love then we are missing the point. If we aren’t overflowing from our hearts in love then bad things happen. Remember how it is from the overflow of the heart that the mouth speaks? If we haven’t filled up our hearts with love then the anger and frustration, the bitterness and resentment, the hate and other ugly things are what come out. So we need to ask God to help us clean house and to fill our hearts with love!
So where are you at today? What is the content of your heart? What are your motives and intentions? Consider them today before you start or get into that conversation and look to speak what you have to say in and out of love!
Old and New
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.’Ephesians 4:20-24
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Ever caught yourself battling the ways of the world vs the ways of God?
- Ever struggled with choosing between the sinful way and God’s way?
- Ever been challenged with the selfish choice vs the selfless choice?
- Ever noticed how this challenge can be more evident when you become a Christian?
- God forgives us for all our sins, we become a child of God, and we have our names written in the book of life that will allow us to spend eternity with God.
- Ever noticed the challenge of this newness when the old sinful nature hasn’t fully gone away?
- Ever noticed how it challenges us with lies that God doesn’t care?
- Ever noticed how it challenges us with lies that we are foolish to be following God?
- Ever noticed how it challenges us with lies that it is ok to be selfish?
- Today’s reading points out how the old selfish nature as a self-preservation actually gets worse.
- Paul as he speaks thru today’s verses uses the metaphor of getting dressed to help us grasp how to deal with the old (selfish) and new (selfless) ways to live.
- Are you going to put on clean clothes today or are you going to go thru the laundry hamper to pick what to wear?
- Can you tell the difference? Do you even realize that you are doing it? Do you put all your clothes and so it is harder to detect or distinguish?
- What happens when you notice that you are wearing something with a stain or an odor? Do you change into something clean?
- It is similar to how when we notice we are acting in the old way, the stains or odors of pride, arrogance, indifference, and other things need to be taken off and replaced with something new and clean.
- So when we notice it, let’s give it up to God and ask for forgiveness and then put it down and pick up the new and clean behavior instead.
- Let’s decide to be putting on clean clothe and habits that will honor God and bless people!
- Let’s decide to let God’s Word to sink into our hearts and our lives so that walk refreshed and renewed (like clean clothe that just came out of the dryer)
- Let’s take hold of God’s truth so that we don’t get stuck wandering around wondering what the stink is until others point it out that it is us. That loudness! That rudeness! Let’s make sure we are speaking from a heart filled with love and a mind filled with the Word of God!
- Let’s be aware so that when we notice the bad behavior, we can stop ourselves and like dirty clothes, we can change our attitude!
- Let’s not ignore it but instead let’s do something about it!
- Let’s put on our clean clothes!
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
- What are some dirty clothes you’ve worn lately? When did you realize they were dirty?
- What are some clean clothes you need to put on today?
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So where are you at today? Are you ready for the old to be made new? Are you ready to start living a new? Are you ready to be a new creation where the old is gone and the new has come? Let’s pray:
Did you pray with me?
Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision?
Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?