So what are you allowing into your heart? Is it love or hate? Is it forgiveness or bitterness? Is it joy or anger? Are you allowing it to take root? Are you allowing it to grow? Are you allowing it to bloom and flooring? What will pour out of it when life gets tough?
“To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.”Proverbs 16:1 NIV
“But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.”Matthew 15:18 NIV
So, what’s in our heart? Are you ready to replace the hate with love? Are you ready to replace the bitterness with forgiveness? Are you ready to replace the anger with joy? Will you invite Jesus into your heart so that you He can help you clean things up?
The Well of the Heart
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
“What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”Matthew 15:11 NIV
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Are you more focused on the outside than the inside?
- Are you more focused on appearance than reality?
- Are you more focused on what you are allowing into your heart than what is coming out?
- Are you more focused on rules, regulations, and routines than on having a real relationship with others and with God?
- Ready to turn things around and take hold of what Jesus has to say and offer?
- Ready to turn things around and start or improve your relationship with Jesus?
- Let’s be more focused on what comes out of our mouthed than what we put into them!
- Let’s be more focused on the content of our heart and how the words we choose to use can create rather than destroy and heal rather than hurt!
- How do you communicate with others?
- You do you communicate with those you love?
- How are you with the words you speak? Is it intentional or habitual?
- Are you more interested in being smart or snarky or sarcastic or loving?
- Let’s purpose to speaking more lovingly in order to bring healing!
- Let’s tell people how much we love them!
- Let’s tell people how proud we are of them!
- Let’s tell people when we see and recognize things hey are really good at!
- Don’t cut people by using critical words!
- Don’t hurt people by using sarcasm!
- Don’t allow silence to cause others to feel self-doubt or emptiness!
- Be observant of the words that comes out of your mouth as a barometer of what is going on in your heart and look to adjust accordingly!
- If you are finding that what is pouring out of you is negative, biting, caustic, or sarcastic then turn to God and ask Him to help fill you with faith, hope, and love to overflowing so that what comes out of you aligns with Him more!
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
- Think of the conversation you’ve had in the past day. How would you describe the content of your words?
- What changes do you need to make in your communication, especially with those you love?
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
“What comes out of your mouth is determined by what goes into your mind.”— Zig Ziegler
So ready to get your heart right? Ready to get some help? Let’s pray
Did you pray with me?
Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision?
Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?