What comes to mind when you hear the word risk? How about the word risky? To some it comes down to probability, to others chance, to others dangerous, to others fear, and to others prospect. Others when they hear the word risk they jump to the “risk vs reward”. Where do you land? Does risk cause you to get worried or afraid? Does risk cause you to get excited? Do you realize there is risk in picking? Do you realize there is risk in doing nothing? Would you rather deal with risk you aren’t engaged in or risk that you have planned and prepared for? Would your rather have an idea about the possible outcomes or deal with the consequences?
In this world you will have troubles! There is no if about it, in this world you will have troubles! So decision is will you take the risk of engaging with God and inviting Jesus into your life or take the risk of doing nothing and having to deal with the troubles on your own and in your own power? We find this truth about troubles in scripture when Jesus speaks to His disciples:
‘ I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]’John 16:33
So in this world do you want to run the risk of troubles coming and knocking on your door alone? Will you take the risk of inviting Jesus into your heart and life so that when troubles come a knocking, you can take heart and be of good cheer because you know that you have Jesus with you and that He has already overcome the world?
Another risk you need to decide upon will determine your final destination. If you decide to be risk averse and don’t decide to receive Jesus then you face the reality that you didn’t do anything and yet won’t end up in heaven. If you decide to risk it and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior you will receive the reward of getting to spend eternity with God in heaven. We each have to make the decision for ourselves. This example can be viewed as a risk vs reward and the reward is so huge that it is definitely worth the risk. Don’t you agree?
There are so many other examples and ways where this life we have is risky. The decision is up to us how we will choose to live it and what benefits and rewards will come from our lives. Will it be out of obedience we take risks? Will it be out of discernment we take risks? Will it be out of wisdom that we take risks? Or will we try to live life risk free and find out we missed the point? The choice is yours and yours alone to make!
Will you choose to make intelligent risks? Will you choose to make wise risks? Will you choose to take kingdom risks? Will you take a risk for God? Will you choose to take a risk in order to make a difference in this world? How will you risk using 30 minutes of your time today? Could it create the greatest miracle of your life or the person you choose to spend it with? Let’s make today count, even if only a half an hour at a time. Will you risk being the one person who can speak the right word at the right time into someone’s situation?
The right word at the right time
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold In settings of silver.’Proverbs 25:11
Digging a bit deeper into this one I found 2 related scriptures…
‘ A man has joy in making an apt answer, and a word spoken at the right moment–how good it is!’Proverbs 15:23
‘ [The Servant of God says] The Lord God has given Me the tongue of a disciple and of one who is taught, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary. He wakens Me morning by morning, He wakens My ear to hear as a disciple [as one who is taught].’Isaiah 50:4
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Will you allow God to speak into and through you so that the right word can be spoken at the right time?
- Will you be wise enough to allow God to work in and through you?
- Will you be wise enough by allowing God to work in and through you?
- Will you be mature enough to allow God to work in and through you?
- Will you be mature enough by allowing God to work in and through you?
- Will you be effective enough by allowing God to work in and through you?
- In that moment that will happen today, will you be ready to say the right word at the right time?
- Will you take the risk and be willing to speak the words God gives you to speak, in the way He wants you to speak them, even if it may be different from what the other person/people may be expecting?
- Will you take the risk of not escalating the situation by returning anger for anger but instead with peace and calm, speak the truth in love and give options?
- Will you take the risk of engaging deeper with someone who may be boring or considered boring, rather than getting annoyed or even walking away?
- Will you take the risk of speak hope and life into someone rather than trying to leverage fear and worry to try and control them?
- Ever heard the breakdown of what communication is and how small the actual words said bring the discussion? 55% body language, 38% voice/tone, 7% spoken words
- So will you take the risk of being authentic, speaking with the truth in love, and allowing our facial expressions, our body language and our tone to express the message to the full?
- Remember WORDS have power! WORDS can build up or tear down!
- Remember WORDS have power! WORDS can bless or curse!
- Remember WORDS have power! WORDS can encourage or hurt!
- Remember WORDS have power! WORDS can motivate or cause horrible scars!
- God’s Word reminds us how to choose our words when it says:
- ‘ Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God’s favor) to those who hear it.’ — Ephesians 4:29
- So today is the day, will you risk speaking life into the life of someone who is hurting, angry, or even lost hope?
- Will you risk sharing faith, hope, and power with them in love?
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Who are the people who have most often and most powerfully affirmed you and given you hope when you felt hopeless?
What are some message you can give to particular people today?
- Take heart
- Cast your cares on God because He cares for you
- Don’t go it alone
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So will you take a risk today? Will it be a risk worth taking? Will it be a risk that will determine or define your eternity? Will it be a risk that will change someone else’s life? Will it be a risk that produce the right word at the right time? If you want to discuss it, feel free to connect using one of the methods shared at the end of this post.
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together:
Did you pray with me? Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision? Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?