If there was someone who could help you would you be willing to share it with them? If they would listen without turning away without contempt, mockery, scoffing, insult, disparagement, spite, sarcasm, ridicule, or put-downs, would it make you more willing to share the cares of your heart and the thoughts of your mind? Do you need someone who can stand by you? Do you need someone who can walk it out with you? Do you want someone who can support and encourage you both on the good and on the tough days? Do you want someone who can speak truth in love when you start to question what is going on? Do you need a way to find rest for your soul? Do you need to find rest for your mind? Do you need to find rest for your body?
Do you know where to go when the pressure starts to build up? Do you know where to turn when life feels overwhelming? Do you know what to do when you don’t know what to do? Turn to God! Cry out to Jesus! Be still and listen to the words of the Holy Spirit! Turn to God’s Word for wisdom and direction! When you don’t know what to do, you do what you know how to do. Ever considered in the midst of your trials and troubles, your burdens and your yoke, to give to others in need or to reach out to help others in need?
Is the pressure or labor too much to bare? Are you willing to do something about it? Will you let God in?
Rest for the Soul
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”’— Matthew 11:28-30
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- What is burdening your life?
- What are the pressures?
- What are the stresses?
- Do you realize that rest doesn’t mean to escape from all responsibilities?
- Do you realize that you can find rest without having to escape from everything?
- Do you realize that being passive or looking to escape may not be the real answer to your situation?
- Do you realize from Jesus’ words above that He didn’t mean that passivity and escape aren’t what He has in mind?
- Ever envisioned or tried to picture the word picture Jesus describes in Matthew 11?
- Can you see the importance of being equally yoked?
- Can you see the importance of being equally yoked to stability and level of effort?
- Can you see the importance of being equally yoked from a mentoring and development perspective?
- Can you see the importance of being equally yoked to learning cooperation and team work?
- So are you willing to yoke up with Jesus?
- Are you willing to learn from His lead?
- Are you willing to develop from His teaching?
- Are you willing to cooperate and team up with Him?
- Are you willing to pull alongside Jesus to accomplish God’s plans, purposes, and will for your life?
- Jesus won’t scold us when we don’t pull our weight or misstep in our walk beside Him, for there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!
- Just as today’s verses tell us, rather than scold us, Jesus will be humble and patient in reminding us that He is pulling most of the load.
- So let’s trust Him in this and with this!
- Let’s allow the Spirit to lead and guide our thoughts, our words, our steps, and our actions.
- Let’s stop trying to pull everything on our own and instead pair up with Jesus!
- Let’s stop trying to go it alone!
- Let’s start pulling in alignment with Jesus!
- Let’s walk with Him and learn to work in cooperation with Him!
- Let’s allow this lesson to bring us peace, relief, rest, and thankfulness
- Let’s lean on God’s strength rather than trying to go it in our own.
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
How are you doing in the yoke as you learn to pull with Jesus?
- It gets easier as you get in step and alignment with Jesus
- As you accept and adjust your steps to walk with Him,
What changes do you need to make? How will these affect your life?
- Keep in step with Jesus, all the time
- Understand when it is time to speed up or slow down
- In so doing, there will be rest and peace and relief and so much more to be thankful for.
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
Are you ready to stop trying to do it all in your own strength? Are you ready to stop trying to go it alone? Are you ready to share the load with someone who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly more than you could ever ask or imagine? Will today be your day?
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together:
Did you pray with me? Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision? Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?