Communication is key. You can’t expect something if you have never expressed it. I know that 2020 opened the door for more family time and more time as a couple. It started with a couples devotional written by pastors from our church and when we finished it, we picked up a couples devotional for a year that we are going through now. That time has become so precious and powerful. It gives us time to express things and then to pray together about it. Ever seen in the Bible where God says you have not because you ask not (James 4:2)? We have to express it before we can expect it! It is important in every relationship we have! It is important in our relationship with God to be in communication with Him which is why we also read how we are supposed to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17)! It is important in our relationship with our spouse and making the time in the midst of our busy life to be able to step away and talk is so important. It is important in our relationship with our kids and making time to see and know where they are at and to pour into their lives. It is important in our relationships with our co-workers, bosses, employees, friends, volunteers, and neighbors too, if we don’t take the time and make the time then we will find out that we’ve run out of time or that the relationships are deteriorating.
So are you ready to communicate? Are you ready to be in relationship? Are you ready to ask? Are you ready to listen? Are you ready to respond?
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY:
‘And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested.’— I Chronicles 4:10
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Do you have a need? Have you expressed it? Have you humbly and boldly asked for it?
- Will you look to delight the heart of God by boldly praying to Him? boldly asking of Him?
- Will you come to the throne of God and ask boldly and filled with faith that His generosity will be something you can ask for from God?
- Will you do so with the right heart and intentions as described in James 4?
- Will you do so humbly rather than out of pride?
- Will you do so humbly rather than out of selfish desires?
- We need to avoid analysis paralysis though and lean in and trust God and take hold of His promises!
- Will you allow your trust in God and your boldness that enables you to go into His throne room to ask also allow you to receive feedback and correction on your heart attitude if you are coming in with the wrong attitude?
- Will you be receptive to God’s correction when we have impure motives?
- Will you approach God in order to both receive His blessings and His corrections?
- Will you trust Him that much that you will give Him your life into His hands?
- Will you meditate on and consider the prayer of Jabez?
- Are you willing to let God expand your territory?
- Are you willing to let God stretch your ability and potential?
- Are you willing to step out in faith and ask Him with a clean heart and good motives, humbly coming before His throne and asking boldly?
- Are you ready to experience God’s presence?
- Are you ready to experience God’s pleasures?
- Are you ready to experience God’s blessings?
- Are you ready to feel the hand of God on you and your life?
- Are you ready to have God’s hand both directing your path and protecting your walk?
- Are you willing to ask that in all of this that you would have a heart like Jabez who has the desire to “not cause pain”?
- Do you realize what his name means? Do you realize what was being said about him when He was given that name at birth? Jabez means “sorrowful“?
- Do you realize your own selfish and sinful nature like Jabez did?
- Do you want God to guide you away from things that will be harmful to other and cause them pain like Jabez did?
- So will you today take time to get right with God and ask of Him boldly for what you have need of and trust Him to answer like He did for Jabez, as a loving father who gives good gifts to His grateful children?
- Will you today choose to take the two key ingredients of BOLDNESS and HUMILITY as you consider how to pray and talk with God?
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
How does Jabez’s prayer express your desires?
- Desire to be helpful rather than hurtful to others
- Desire to walk in alignment with God’s will under His guidance and protection
- Desire to walk boldly and courageously
- Trusting God
How can you develop more of that blend of boldness and humility?
- You need to exercise your faith
- You need to spend time in God’s Word
- You need to meditate on His Word and promises
- You need to log so you can remember His answers of blessings and corrections
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So will you communicate with humility and boldness? Will you express what you have need of? Will you ask with the right heart and purpose? Will you ask in alignment with the will of God? Will you ask in a way that can be received?
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together:
Did you pray with me? Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision? Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?