As I started my day the thought of dreams and visions came to me. My reading from the power of a half hour spoke to how God gives us dreams and visions because they are His dreams and visions for us and how He will help us achieve them if we will pursue Him and believe Him! Imagine the idea of being president of a homeowners association of over ten thousand people. Imagine getting that vision and feeling unprepared and unqualified but directed by God. I know it took some convincing from God for me to take hold of it and then believe it and then pursue it and then achieve it. God called me to it and He got me through it. He qualified the unqualified! How about now? What is the next dream? What is the next vision? What is God calling you to do now? Consider your roles and responsibilities. Consider if one of those might happen to be a calling from God. Consider the dreams God has for you. Consider the visions God has, is, and will give you. Will you respond quickly in faith? Will you do what He calls you to? Will you resist out of doubt or fear? What will it take for you to step up to be everything God created you to be and do everything God created you to do?
Turning a career into a calling
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY: Colossians 3:23-24
‘And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. ‘
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Why do you go to work?
- Why do you get out of bed?
- Is it to provide for your family?
- Is it to use what God’s given you in the forms of gifts and talents?
- Is it to interact with others?
- Is it to be creative?
- Is it to be successful?
- What is your motivation though?
- When things get tough (like they did for m in 2020), how do you or are you able to keep going?
- In this world we will have troubles but we are to take heart because Jesus has overcome the world.
- So what about if your boss becomes unreasonable, how do you stay motivated?
- So what about if there is a downturn in the economy, how do you stay motivated?
- So what about if your workload gets heavy, how do you stay motivated?
- So what about if you have a failure, how do you stay motivated?
- Today’s reading comes from Paul in a message to slaves.
- He knows of anyone they would have the biggest reason to complain and become discouraged.
- Imagine being asked to do the most and getting the least. That is what happened to them.
- His message of hope and encouragement was to work “heartily”, with real enthusiasm, not because of their earthly masters but rather because they are working first for God!
- His message of hope and encouragement was that God will eventually reward their honest work.
- His message of hope and encouragement was that one day, maybe not today but in the future the results will be thrilling.
- So what about you and me? This message speaks hope and encouragement to us too that we are working for God and that our good attitude and hard work will be richly rewarded!
- This message speaks hope and encouragement to us because even if it doesn’t come from our employers, one day God will!
- So as we are about to start today, doesn’t this help us to be motivated to get up and get out there and do our best?
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
What difference would it make for you to realize that you are working primarily for Christ, not for your boss or your company?
- It helps us remember that the earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.
- It helps us remember that every good and perfect gift comes from God.
- It helps us remember that no matter what happens today that by working hard and having a good attitude, God will reward us one day.
- As I typed the “no matter what happens”, I saw my window back in the office (that I haven’t seen in over a year now) where I had the question for Happy Today! – you can see the equation at 😀 Happy Today Calendars 😀 – Will you choose to make today happy? (happycalendars.com)
What needs to happen in your thoughts, attitudes, and actions to reflect this perspective?
- Not get distracted by the negativity of others
- Not get distracted by the treatment you receive when it isn’t good
- Focus on God and His promises and His Word
- Take hold of James 1:2-4
- Take hold of John 16:33
- And choose to live out your Happy Today!
- Choose to live out your Happy Today “NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS”!
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
“We fear not because, when we put on the whole armor of truth and hide behind Jesus Christ, we know in Whom we’ve believed and we are secure in that belief. We then will serve without fear, and our effectiveness and productivity increase greatly.”— Zig Ziglar
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
So what are your dreams and visions? Are they God’s dreams and visions? What are you going to do about them?
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together:
Did you pray with me? Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision? Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?