Ever heard that you can never out give God? Ever considered the blessings in your life? This morning I was talking with God and thanking him for my wife and for each of my kids and for everything He is and has done in and through all of our lives. It has been incredible to get to be a part of their journeys and to get to see what God has and consider what He will do in and through their lives. I have so much to be grateful for and I thank and praise God because not matter what I put out there or give, it is so small compared to all that He has and is and will do in and through the lives of my family and the extended family through friends and support.
“It is finished”
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY: John 19:30
‘So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.’
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Imagine checking off that last item on the list and fulfilling the last of the prophesies
- Imagine choosing to give up your life for the grace of offering people salvation
- Ever realized that the little sour wine completed the final prophesy? Psalms 69:21
- Imagine watching as the savior of the world died on the cross and how that type of a finish to his life would impact you.
- Imagine seeing him give up his spirit only hours after being put up on the cross compared to what normally would have been days.
- Imagine the guards surprise when they wanted to make sure everyone was dead in time and they found he was already dead and didn’t have to break his bones like what happened to the others because they didn’t want the bodies left up there over the sabbath.
- Even in his death God’s Word was proven true! (Exodus 12:46, Numbers 9:12, Psalm 34:20)
- Looking into the origin of the statement captured as “It is finished” we learn it comes from the Greek phrase that means “paid in full”.
- He gave His life to pay in full the price of our sins.
- He came, He lived, and He died all for this reason – that the world could have a way when there wasn’t a way to be reconciled back to God once and for all.
- Do you believe in Jesus and have received Him as your Lord and Savior?
- Do you believe that because of this belief that you have been forgiven?
- Do you believe that because of this belief that you have been reconciled to God?
- Do you believe that because of this belief that you will get to spend eternity with God?
- Are you just going through the motions or do you really believe Jesus is who He said He is and accomplished what He said He would?
- Are you just a hearer of the Word and not receiving it and so becoming a doer of the Word?
- Is your faith active? Are you building upon your relationship that began the day you received and accepted Jesus?
- Have you received God’s gift of grace that is Jesus?
- Do you think you need to do enough good work to get into heaven or do you believe Jesus is the way?
- Remember Jesus told us that He is the way, the truth, and the life and how nobody comes to the Father except through Him?
- Do you think you can do enough to earn God’s favor? Don’t you realize it just requires that you accept Jesus?
- We don’t do good works to earn God’s favor but rather good works are evidence in our faith in Jesus Christ our Lord!
- Don’t allow selfishness nor arrogance to rob you of getting to enter into the presence of God!
- The one way to get into God’s presence is to receive Jesus and then we get the benefit of a relationship with God here while we live and for eternity in heaven!
- There is nobody too bad that God can’t forgive them through Jesus.
- There is nobody too good that they don’t need a relationship with Jesus in order to get into eternity with God.
- Jesus paid in full for all of our sins, not just some of them but all of them, so give them to Him, nail them to the cross, and live the rest of your life in the freedom that has already been paid for in full!
- So let’s not allow our pride to rob us of the gift of God’s grace through Jesus!
- When we choose to receive and follow Jesus, we are saved by grace through faith, not by works so that nobody can boast! So don’t allow pride to trip you up and lead you to a fall! Receive God’s grace by faith!
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
How does secretly hoping we can earn God’s favor by being good enough affect our relationship with God?
- It robs us of the peace that comes through believing Jesus is enough.
- It keeps us from the joy that comes through believing Jesus is enough.
- It stops us from living lives to the full through believing Jesus is enough.
- It holds us back from everything God has done and planned for our lives.
Take some time now to let the grace of Christ sink deep into your heart, and thank Him for it.
QUOTE(S) FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together.
Did you pray with me? Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision? Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?