As today begins and reflecting on a conversation I had yesterday about what God can do and will do if we will just answer His call. Be it the time when I was at a men’s retreat and felt God calling me to step up and get involved in my community by joining the homeowners’ association board or when in the third year He called me to step up and be president, it is interesting how responsive I was based on how qualified I felt. When the call came to join the HOA board, I felt I could do that and was quick to respond to God’s call. When the call came to step up and be president of the HOA board, I didn’t feel qualified and kept negotiating with the Spirit as that still quiet voice kept negotiating with me about it. Just thinking about the difference of perspective and how in both cases God was equally capable to use me for His purposes, my perspective was what changed how quick I was to agree and respond. Even when the interview with the board before joining gave me an out to join a committee in order to get a quarter of my dues back, I respond that I was supposed to join the board. It was interesting to consider the confidence in that first call. When some turmoil was taking place and God kept telling me to step up to be president of the board, I had more reason based on my current position in my day job/career that I could come up with so many reasons and excuses why I couldn’t or shouldn’t or wouldn’t. Until that one day when God knew the time was now or never, He had a reason, He had a purpose, and if it wasn’t going to be me, He would have to use someone else. That day at the gym when I heard the booming voice of God compared to the earlier still quiet voice of the Spirit that gave me the ultimatum “You can be president or you can be nothing, you choose!”. Wow, that got my attention and nothing sounded really bad. So I submitted to His will even with my doubts and concerns. For some reason when He called me to join the board, I trusted Him enough but when He kept prompting me to step up as president it was as if I was thinking He wasn’t enough to work in and through me to accomplish His will. Looking back, it was incredible to see Him work in and through me. Looking back, it was incredible how when I was at the end of my abilities how God showed up and instructed me, guided me, and helped me to lead not only the board but also the community into all that was ahead of us. Be it hiring an executive director (which in my day job was probably 2 or 3 levels higher in position than me). Be it finding an accounting company to help will payments and billing in support of the finance committee. Be it dealing with security concerns and the impact on the insurance costs. In each case, God was there and He helped me to make the right decisions. In each case, God was there and He provided me the confidence and the instruction and the courage to step into the situation and get it done. In each case, the outcome was confirmed to be right and produced an incredible testimony of God’s power and promises, God’s faithfulness and truth, God’s ability to call the unqualified and qualify them as He did in and through me. It was this experience that taught me that God doesn’t call the qualified but He qualifies the called!
So what about you? Will you answer the call the next time God calls you? Will you answer the call even if you don’t know or understand the purpose behind it? Will you answer the call the next time God calls, even if you don’t feel qualified? What if you you received the ultimatum of accepting the call or being nothing? What would it take for you to accept the call the next time God calls you?
Called with a Purpose
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY: Romans 8:28
‘And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. ‘
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- Do you understand what happened?
- Do you understand the why?
- Do you need to understand the why?
- Is understanding who is in control good enough?
- Is understanding that there is a plan underway good enough?
- Do you keep track the the experiences in life? The good? The bad? The ugly? The ones somewhere in between?
- Do you ever consider them being weaved together into your tapestry of life?
- Do you ever look back at what has taken place in your past and viewed it as a portrait?
- Do you trust God to weave your life together out of love, wisdom, and strength?
- Do you trust God to be bigger than your circumstances?
- Do you trust God to be bigger than your problems?
- Do you trust God when He calls you to something you don’t understand?
- Do you trust God during the joy and the pain, the trials and troubles and the celebrations and parties?
- Ever seen the back of something being stitched together and thought it wasn’t that nice, but when it gets flipped over it is amazingly beautify?
- Do you trust God enough that even if it isn’t going like you thought or expected that You will trust Him?
- Consider your life like a loom on which the weaver (God) is creating the masterpiece!
- God’s ways are not always our ways! His ways are better and higher than our ways!
- His ways may be different from what we hoped or imagined.
- His ways may be different from what we dreamed or contemplated.
- Will you answer the call and trust His handiwork?
- Will you answer His call and direction in order to find life and peace?
- Will you reject or resist His call and direction and find yourself angry and in despair?
- Choose to trust God! Choose to have faith in His plans and design!
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
What are some difficult things you’ve been facing?
- 2020 and the changes and challenges
- Change of direction that seemed to happen before I could feel settled or capable or ready
What difference would it make for you to believe that God can weave those painful experiences into the fabric of your life and create something beautiful?
- All of 2020, I was leaning in and trusting God for that
- All of 2020, I was living with the theme of hindsight being 2020
- As 2020 was drawing to a close in December, and I thought things were settled (6 roles and 3 bosses) – with my math braining joking that they both divided into 12, God had 1 more change which required all the earlier part of the process/year to get me ready for such a change and disconnect me in the way required for me to be willing to take on such a calling.
QUOTES FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together.
Did you pray with me? Would you be willing to leave me a comment so that I can pray with and for you about such an incredible decision? Or if you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment on my blog, why not email or text me instead?