When you hear these words does it make you think about how people use them to keep you from knowing something? What comes to mind when you hear the word secret? What comes to mind when you hear the word surprise? Let’s take a quick look at their definitions:
So a secret is “something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others” whereas a surprise is “an unexpected or astonishing event, fact, or thing“. So when you have this data how does it change your view of secrets vs surprises? Does it require secrecy for something to be a surprise? Can you have a surprise without secrecy?
What does it mean when someone tells you a secret? Is it no longer a secret or does it put the burden of secrecy on you? What does it mean when someone wants to tell you a surprise? Is it no longer a surprise or does it put the burden of secrecy on you?
Ever considered how the most published book in the world could still be a secret or surprise to people? Ever considered how the most published book in the world which is now available online and in 310 languages could still be a secret or surprise to people? Ever considered the barriers that would keep people from knowing about it? Barriers like 4263 languages to go for it to be available to all languages. Barriers like governments blocking or preventing the availability of it. Ever considered that you can have a part in sharing it to the world or with the world? Ever considered that you could be sharing it by the way you live? Ever considered that you could be sharing it by the words you speak? Ever considered that you could be sharing it by the way you act or behave? Ever considered how God’s Word isn’t supposed to be a secret? Ever considered how God’s Word isn’t supposed to be a surprise? Now when we first hear the truth it can surprise us how great, how wide, how deep God’s love for us is.
So today, how will you choose to live your life? How will you choose to share the truth that sets people free? How will you choose to share share the reality that was hidden but has now been revealed? It speaks of mystery. Let’s reflect on a few verses prior to jumping into today’s devotional:
- He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. — Matthew 13:11
- the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. — Colossians 1:26
- ‘For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles— if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.
To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him. Therefore I ask that you do not lose heart at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.
For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.’ — Ephesians 3:1-21
- ‘Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith— to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.’ — Romans 16:25-27
- And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. — Colossians 4:3
The One Year Daily Insights with Zig Ziglar and Dr. Ike Reighard for February 9th
Let Me Tell You A Secret
MEMORY VERSE OF THE DAY: Psalms 25:14
‘The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, And He will show them His covenant.’
POINTS FROM THE DEVOTIONAL:
- People love secrets that have the promise of bringing excitement into their lives
- People love secrets that give them the inside scoop on tings
- People love to hear secrets that make them feel valued
- What seems hidden to you or from you in relations to the spiritual world?
- What keeps you off balance or off guard causing you to wander or stumble?
- What keeps you from realizing who God is?
- What keeps you from understanding God’s purpose for your life?
- What keeps you from answering God’s calling on your life?
- What keeps you from being able to relate to God’s people?
- As our verse for today shares from David, God doesn’t share His secrets with everybody.
- Do you seek God with all of your heart, mind, and strength out of reverence, love, and respect? When you seek Him you will find Him when you seek Him with all of your heart!
- Ever looked to see what a word means in context? Today when people hear fear of the Lord their are many who think it means to be afraid of Him which makes it an unpopular idea to them.
- “Fear of the Lord” really means “wonder and awe”, “a sense that God is so powerful, so intelligent, and so loving that we can hardly imagine it”.
- Let’s decide to be people who are in awe and wonder of God, overwhelmed with His character and nature
- Let’s decide to be people of God thru that in order to become better listeners
- Let’s decide to be people of God thru that in order to be postured to be able to hear from God when He shares His secrets with us.
- Let’s position ourselves in a way to be able to understand God’s character and nature!
- Let’s position ourselves to know God and who He is!
- God is love!
- 1 Corinthians shows us what love is and we can replace the word love with God and see what God is like!
- Let’s position ourselves to know God and trust in Him!
- Let’s position ourselves to know God and under all circumstances trust in Him rather than fearing the situation!
- Let’s not lean on our own understanding but instead lean on God’s wisdom, God’s love, and God’s strength!
- Let’s receive Jesus into our lives and become His children!
- Let’s receive Jesus into our hearts and become destined to spend eternity with God!
DISCUSSION TOPICS FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Why do you think God withholds His secrets from people who don’t have great respect for Him?
- Everyone has freewill to choose
- They need to seek Him
- Their pride
What does fearing God mean to you?
- To hold God in awe
- To hold God in wonder
- To hold God in reverence
- To worship and glorify God
- To trust God in all things, at all time
QUOTES FROM TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL:
Today’s reading from Tanakh:
Where are you at today? Are you looking for guidance? Are you wondering where to turn? Are you at the end of your rope and needing help? Are you ready for some help? Are you ready to turn to God and ask? seek? knock? Let’s pray together.
Dear God, I know that I am a sinner and there is nothing that I can do to save myself. I confess my complete helplessness to forgive my own sin or to work my way to heaven. At this moment I trust Christ alone as the One who bore my sin when He died on the cross. I believe that He did all that will ever be necessary for me to stand in your holy presence. I thank you that Christ was raised from the dead as a guarantee of my own resurrection. As best as I can, I now transfer my trust to Him. I am grateful that He has promised to receive me despite my many sins and failures. Father, I take you at your word. I thank you that I can face death now that you are my Savior. Thank you for the assurance that you will walk with me through the deep valley. Thank you for hearing this prayer. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.—The Sinner’s Prayer
Did you pray this with me? Would you like to connect and discuss it with me? Would you like to make time to start your walk with Jesus? Do you have questions? Please let me know through the comment section below, through email, or even through text messages.