So what is the most important reading you do? How important is it that you understand it? How important is it that you believe it? How important is it that you know it? How important is it that you apply it?
For me it is the Bible. It is the way I start my day to hear from God and get filled up for the day. It amazes me how applicable and real it is into my every day, my today. It’s so amazing that I have had others from my workplaces wonder how I pick my reading since it is so applicable to what my life is going through. What’s even more incredible is that I don’t pick my daily readings, I just pick the devotional for the year and it selects which reading will be for each day. God is good and He knows what you will need! God doesn’t get surprised and so He is able to speak into your very situation. His Word never returns void! His Word speaks truth in love! His Word is a love letter to us!
Not sure about trying to make it all the way through the Bible in a year? Why not start in the New Testament? Why not start in one of the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John)? Why not start small so that you can do more than read and understand and believe? The new year has just begun and I am getting towards the end of my current 365 day reading with today being from day 351 (with 2 days missed that I will do at the end to finish it up completely). So don’t lose hope or stop because you miss a day! You can choose to either continue from where you are or depending on your devotional, you can stick with whatever day you are at and go back later. Every year, I also choose which translation to read through (NIV, NLT, NKJV, KJV, …) and this year I have chosen to use NLT). A great resource for Bible reading plans is bible.com where you can pick from topical studies, versions that will read to you, versions where you can listen and watch, chronological, new to the faith, work related, leadership related, even versions for kids, walk through the Bible, and so many more types. Why not find one that seems interesting to you at https://www.bible.com/reading-plans and get started?
This is the day that the Lord has made, don’t you want to hear about what He has to say?
How to Read and Understand the Bible
Helpers in reading the Bible:
- The Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:2–16)
- The Church (Ephesians 3:18) – the church isn’t the building but a body of believers
- Reason through your own mind (Romans 14:5) – we need to be more than just convinced, we need to be fully convinced in our own minds.
Guides and questions to interpreting the Bible: (we need to let the Bible interpret the Bible)
- What does it actually say? [We need to remember that the Old Testament was written in Hebrew and Aramaic, whereas, the New Testament was written in Greek.]
- What does it mean? [We need to understand the type of writing and the author]
- What sort of literature is it? Is it historical writing? Poetry? Prophecy? Apocalyptic? Law? Wisdom? Gospel?
- Who wrote it? Who read it or was the recipient of it?
- Consider the coming of Jesus and how it relates to the Old Testament and how it connected with the people at the time of His life… (John 5:39–40)
- How does this apply to my life? [Not only how does it but how can I apply it]
- We need to take it from the intellectual exercise to the practical application
So, how can we read and understand the Bible?
- Be real with God … Psalms 144:9-15 (poetry)
- Make a difference by your prayers … Revelation 8, Revelation 9:1-12 (apocalyptic)
- Fulfill God’s purpose for your life … Ezra 1, Ezra 2:1-67 (history)
Today’s devotional Day 351: Bible In One Year 2018 provides some insight into the reading too while at the same time allowing you to read through God’s Word. Using a devotional can help getting started by having a plan to follow. Using a devotional can help getting into the Word of God by selecting a topic that is very relevant to you today which can be a 3 day, 5 day 7 day, etc. to help you get kicked started without having the pressure of reading all the Bible. So if you haven’t started making reading God’s Word a part of your daily schedule and giving Him priority into your life, why not get started today. If you are reading this then you know how you found it and so you know how to find me and contact me if you want to chat. Be it social networks or just this blog via comments, you can connect with me. Or if you happen to be someone closer who knows me don’t hesitate to approach me and let’s chat.