Today we did a fly over of the book of Nehemiah on leadership principles with Wayne Tesch. I will capture here my notes and look forward to putting together a more in depth series in the future.
Chapter 1: Prayer
4When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven. 5Then I said,
“O lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of unfailing love with those who love him and obey his commands, 6listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel. I confess that we have sinned against you. Yes, even my own family and I have sinned! 7We have sinned terribly by not obeying the commands, decrees, and regulations that you gave us through your servant Moses.
8“Please remember what you told your servant Moses: ‘If you are unfaithful to me, I will scatter you among the nations. 9But if you return to me and obey my commands and live by them, then even if you are exiled to the ends of the earth, I will bring you back to the place I have chosen for my name to be honored.’
10“The people you rescued by your great power and strong hand are your servants. 11O Lord, please hear my prayer! Listen to the prayers of those of us who delight in honoring you. Please grant me success today by making the king favorable to me. Put it into his heart to be kind to me.”
In those days I was the king’s cup-bearer.
- need leaders to show up to make a difference in the inner city, one block at a time
- make a difference to the community
- show long term impact
- How to hit the problem? PRAY!
Chapter 2: Plan
- he went undercover to scope out the land
- he made it an “us” plan – “Let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem and end this disgrace!”
- Leadership is about the “us”
- We are stewards of the dream
- Plan so that we can be successful
Chapter 3: People
- Exercise to count the number of names…
- build and invest into where you live!
- everyone should be included
- the hall of fame of the builders of the wall
- making them heros
Chapter 4: Problems from the outside
- without good people challenging us we wouldn’t grow
- sure there will be problems but good Christians come together in tough times
- they tried to slander them
- when they try to put us down, if we focus on that we miss out on what God has in sotre
- they try to say it in humor to try and put us down
- they get 1/2 way and then start to focus on the rubble rather than the accomplishment
- see beyond the rubble to what God wants to do in the their lives
- @1/2 way out comes the excuses — the 1/2 way focus, want to do something else
- instead of being selfish, look at the good thing God has for you
- the construction of God’s good instead of the rubble
- lift your eyes, don’t look for problems, look for opportunities to bring people together
- issues usually show up @1/2 way point
Chapter 5: Problems within
Chapter 6: All done, let’s celebrate and party
- wall was finished in 52 days
- consider how long things take
- the was was laid baron for over 100 years (4 generations)
- so let’s celebrate the victories
Other thoughts and topics:
God has called you to do something important –> speak life into teens
Some may not welcome us, but they are work in progress and we haven’t seen the end yet
When did hope start meaning something to me?
With God all things are possible
We are dealing with longer term issues
Reward may not be here, it may be in heaven
- Problems from the inside and the outside
Start with Focus
- then go deeper
- be focused on the one thing
- find others to take on the other things
Build and army of compassion!