Do you how to be effective? To what purpose are you trying to be or become effective? Do you read? What do you read? Does it help? Does it produce good fruit? Does it have purpose? Does it help you to fulfill your purpose?
This morning’s reading speaks to the importance to capturing God’s Word as we lead…
18“And when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved by the Levitical priests. 19And it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them, 20that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left, so that he may continue long in his kingdom, he and his children, in Israel.
–from Deuteronomy 17
I know as a kids reading wasn’t something I enjoyed. I had friends that did, but it wasn’t really for me. As I grew up and once I connected with God, reading was something I enjoyed doing as it was spending time with God! God called me back in 2015 to not only captured what He was speaking into my life, but also to share it. I have learned through this the importance of reading to so many other things in life.
Reading is a life skill that is necessary to open up doors in your future! Doors that lead to success! Doors that lead to well-being!
Consider what today’s reading say and speaks to…Who is reading? Who is writing? Why is He doing it?
- “he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved by the Levitical priests” – so that he has his own copy, he can read it when he wants, and so that he knows it is accurate
- “it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them, 20that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left, so that he may continue long in his kingdom, he and his children, in Israel.“ – He will have it, he will read it daily, God will speak to him through it, he will know the difference between right and wrong, he will know how to be obedient, he will know how important it is to walk in alignment with God, he will be able to be humble because he knows it is not all about him, but it is all about God, he will be able to serve as a leader those around him, he will be able to share it and pass it along to his children for generations to come.
So with this skill “READING” and its ability to prepare us for success, we need to harness it and use it properly. It matters what we allow into our heads! We need to choose wisely the information we allow to enter in. What we read should help us get better! What we read should help us to be more effective! What we read should help us to become better versions of ourselves.
Do you have a copy of the Bible? Have you read it? Have you ever considered to make your own copy of it like the kings of old? Writing it so that it is in your own handwriting? Reading it daily? There is definite purpose to reading God’s Word! There is definite effectiveness that comes from reading God’s Word! It helps us to realize who God is and how to follow His instructions and commandments! Consider the two Jesus says are the most important commands…
- Love God
- Love People
We see it this way in Luke:
26And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” 27And he answered, “YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” 28And He said to him, “You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE.”
–from Luke 10:27
in Mark we read it this way…
29Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; 30AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.’ 31“The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
–from Mark 12
There will be results from reading God’s Word! There will be fruit that show the effectiveness! We read the impact on the king…
- prevent him from becoming proud
- prevent him from turning away from what is right
- ensure his reign lasted for generations
When they did this faithfully we read how well their legacy went, like King David did.
So how are you leading? Are you leading with humility? Are you doing it for your own personal gain or to serve others? The purpose and the target are key! Let’s be servant leaders who in humility lead!
Are you leading by example? Are you doing what is right so that it is clear to others what they should do and how they should behave? Are you leading in a way the demonstrates you care for the well being of those who are following?
Are you trying to just do it your own way? Are you seeking your own personal wins or leading with humility, following standards, doing what is expected of you?
Are you wondering how to be a good leader who is leading properly?
Do you realize the key and source to it?
We need to be in the Word of God regularly!
Do you want to be an effective leader? Then start with the right ingredients to be adding into your life so that you are prepared and of right heart and mind!
If you haven’t already, why not start today in your journey through the Bible?
Let’s not just read God’s Word, let’s put it into application through our lives!
Then watch the impact it will have and it will make not only for you and those around you, but your family for generations to come!
(today’s devotional sourced from Unraveling The Scriptures For Leadership Effectiveness )