2 Samuel 16:23
23Now the advice of Ahithophel, which he gave in those days, was as if one had inquired at the oracle of God. So was all the advice of Ahithophel both with David and with Absalom.
When he gave advice it was as if God was talking to them.
Pastor Jenkins called Ahithophel … Phil
God’s deeds and ways, there is a difference
What to be like that? He was anointed.
23Now when Ahithophel saw that his advice was not followed, he saddled a donkey, and arose and went home to his house, to his city. Then he put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died; and he was buried in his father’s tomb.
- Could of been…
What caused him to stray?
- David saw Bathsheba, got her pregnant, tried to cover it up by bring Uriah back but Uriah wouldn’t and couldn’t because his group was at war, David kept trying but Uriah wouldn’t give in. So David sent message in how to kill Uriah, by delivering the message through Uriah to the leader
- Bathsheba was his grand daughter
- It affects him
- He went and became the advisor to David’s rebellious son Absalom
- Bitterness took root
- Bitterness affects your relationship with God
- Can cause all types of relationships to be strained because they wouldn’t forgive
- People try to avoid seeing them rather than forgiving them
- Need to figure out who we are avoiding
How do you get passed it?
- Realize their actions aren’t worth damaging your relationship with God!
- nothing is worth that
- Remember vengeance is the Lords! He will repay (Romans 12:9)
- If you try to take vengeance you are trying to take God’s position
- God is better taking care of it
- Ephesians 4:31
- Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.
- you have to decide
- Romans 3:23
- for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
- Everybody has hurt somebody, maybe not on purpose, but we all have
- We have all missed the mark
- So we have to be able to forgive
- Realize the pain someone hurt you is how God promotes you, springboard to where you are
- God teaches you how to be a better person through the experiences
- We are the people we are today because God used those experiences to promote us to where He wants us to be
- Consider Joseph and his story… He had so many opportunities to become bitter…
- Because his brothers …
- Because of Potiphar’s wife…
- Because of the butler who forgot him in the prison
- But God used it all and promoted him to #2 in all of Egypt
No matter what they did, it’s not worth missing out on your relationship with God!